Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Arriving at Western Village


We knew we didn’t have far to go today, so we relaxed and made a slow start.  It was 9:30 before we got going, and we only made three miles before stopping at a Pilot for gas, coffee, and Danish.  At the next gas stop, we had a casual lunch, resulting that it wasn’t until we got back on the road after this that it felt like we could actually settle in and start making miles.  It was 3:30 p.m. when we pulled into Western Village RV Park, near Carlisle, PA.  This made 261.1 miles for the day, and 1,414.9 miles for the trip east.  This was nowhere near where I would be making the start on the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, but would give Jean a comfortable place to stay and closeness to family while I was on a two-month long canoe trip.  From here, we could make a round-trip to Old Forge, NY, in one day to get me launched.


During a walk around the RV park, we found this pull alarm
fire box, which is actually a bird house.  Love it.
 
We encountered a new wrinkle while checking in at the campground.  We had a definite difference of opinion over whether they had told me in advance that we needed proof of liability insurance in order to stay longer than a week.  They said they had, and I stated emphatically that they hadn’t.  I’ve been planning this trip for nearly a year, so if I had been aware of the need for extra paperwork, I would have taken care of it months earlier as I had with everyone else.  I now needed to take a couple extra days out of my itinerary to get proof of insurance for them.  It was now the weekend, so I was a holding pattern until Monday.  The lesson learned, which I can share, is that I now keep a couple extra copies of the insurance declaration page in the truck so I can present it on demand when needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment