Friday, April 3, 2015

Mississippi River Transit


The wind has been fierce today, and is expected to continue for most of the rest of the coming week.  It was gusting to 50 mph this morning (Force 9-10 on the Beaufort Scale), and held at 30-35 most of the day (Force 8 or gale), not dropping to 25 mph until sunset.  When I went out for my walk, it wasn’t too bad while passing treed areas and around buildings, but while walking upwind by open pastures, the roar in my ears was so loud I couldn’t hear traffic coming up behind me.

 

Besides getting the flowerbed irrigation system repaired, reconnected, and set up for the summer, I spent some time out of the wind watching Mississippi River In Transit.  I don’t know how I haven’t spotted this before, but if you’ve missed it as well, you may enjoy it.  It is a video-log of four young men paddling the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca to the Gulf of Mexico.  If you’ve fantasized about such a trip, and wondered what it would take to accomplish it, the videos do a very good job of showing the preparations, as well as the obstacles and adventures experienced along the way.  As for experience, the total canoeing experience accrued by the four prior to setting off was---ZERO, but they endured a pretty steep learning curve.  There are 25 videos in the collection done by Peter Bragiel and his videographer.  You should find them both entertaining and enlightening, and they are all accessible at:

No comments:

Post a Comment